Monday, December 13, 2010

cobb-le/cobb-le

I always get excited when I see a cobb salad on a menu at a restaurant and then, when it comes, i'm deflated. My husband says it's because no one makes a cobb salad like I do and, I must admit, he's right (only about that though...).

I start with roasting some chicken breasts (usually on the bone) until fully cooked. Let cool. Then, not for the home cook in a rush, chop up all the toppings: romaine, tomatoes (I love grape ones), cucumber (diced not sliced!) & ripe avocado. In the summer I use fresh corn done on the bbq but in mid-December, I guess peaches and cream canned corn will sadly have to do. To add to the protein factor, I add roasted chick peas which I roast at 400~ for approx 20 mins with olive oil and salt and pepper. They are spectacular if you've never made these - do it, you'll never eat a plain chick pea ever again! I also add a perfectly hard boiled egg (boil salted water, turn to the lowest setting possible, place egg in water, cover and set timer for exactly 12 minutes. Drain and rinse well in cold water). Then I roast some turkey bacon which adds a lovely crunch! (you can roast the chick peas and turkey bacon in the same oven as they both roast for about the same time -easy!). Add a crumble of blue cheese (or you could substitute goat or feta if you don't care for blue but just a little goes a long way and it really pumps up the flavour).
I have played around with this dressing recipe for what seems like forever, but tonight, I think I finally nailed it down! It was...well, scrumptious.

Cobb Salad Dressing
2.5 T red wine vinegar
1.5 T fresh lemon juice
1 t dijon mustard
1 t dry mustard
1/2 T honey
1 t worcestershire sauce
1 crushed garlic clove
Shake that up really really well
Then, in a slow stream, add 1/4 C oil
(I really love a combination of canola oil & olive oil)
Add fresh pepper to taste and remove the garlic clove.
Toss on the salad and enjoy! You'll never love a restaurant cobb again (sorry).

No comments:

Post a Comment