Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I had to bite (eat?) the bullet.

Welcome. hi. hi. I was a bundle of nerves & sweating determining what to post first. See, I felt the intense pressure to post something so incredibly spectacular and well, frankly, insanely scrumptious for my virgin post - actually no, my virgin blog. I have never typed into the black hole of the internet (I don't count email, instant messaging and facebook as blogging) and it feels a bit strange to talk/type to myself but since it's about food, well, i'll get over it. I decided to just bite the bullet and post what I made tonight for dinner, no pressure. Phew - that felt good to admit.

I think about food all the time - really, it's true. As i'm devouring the first bite of my lunch, I've already considered what's for dinner and perhaps, what's for lunch the next day. I love food, I love recipes and I love the internet. Voila - Scrumptious. I love simple things when it comes to my meals - i love bowls, i love colour, i love vegetables, i love bowls. I also love eating things that take a long time (weird?) - like big, huge salads - I guess this flows quite nicely to my first dinner post no? I think so.

This meal satisfies my every food desire. Vegetables, colour and served in bowls! Bingo!
This is my most favouritest ever asian slaw adapted from a few recipes but mostly made up and the dressing is a variation on Guy Fieri's Asian Slaw: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/asian-slaw-recipe/index.html

In my slaw, I have julienned:
  • red cabbage
  • savoy (green) cabbage
  • scallions
  • carrots
  • yellow pepper
  • orange pepper
  • LOTS of fresh mint
  • LOTS of fresh cilantro
  • soft, delicious and buttery avocado slices
  • crunchy toasted cashews (my ultimate fave nut)
  • white & black sesame seeds
The only changes I made to Guy's dressing was to add 1/2 T natural peanut butter and omit the brown sugar. Oh, I also used Tamari in place of soy as I like it better.  I tossed all the veggies with the dressing and added the avocado, nuts and seeds on top to finish it off. It was like an art project that I was actually proud to show. My husband's slaw received a juicy chicken breast on top but I have also topped it with an oven roasted salmon filet which is pretty tasty.

Hmmm. I guess I didn't consider that writing about food, posting photos about my food and generally considering my next post would make me (even more!) so hungry. I need to figure this one out. I'll be back, maybe tomorrow. Thanks for stopping in - Lesley.

1 comment:

  1. That looks awesome! I would definitely eat that. Good luck with the blog.

    ReplyDelete